Thursday, March 30, 2006

The power of prayer....

...to increase your risk of medical complications.

Recently I posted an entry about how stupid I thought it was that the US government was throwing millions of dollars into research regarding the medical effects of prayer.

Well I followed up a bit on my earlier post and looked for articles regarding the results of the study and I found something unexpected and kind of funny. As the Globe and Mail put it:
In the largest scientific test of its kind, heart surgery patients showed no benefit when strangers prayed for their recovery.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications.

The first part I completely expected. The second part is, in my opinion, awesome.

Why, you might ask, do I think it's awesome that the study found that prayer might actually lead to one having worse results? Well, because it serves as a nice "fuck you" to all those people who push stupid, and potentially harmful ideas, such as faith healing. Now if only someone would lay the scientific smack down on people, such as Lorraine Day, who suggest that people give up their chemotherapy and drink tea made of glorified lawn clippings to cure their cancer.

-CK

11:49 PM | Home | Link | 0 Comments |

................................





No animals were intentionally harmed in the production of this blog